Robert F. Horn
350 Eagleview Boulevard, Suite 150
Exton, Pennsylvania 19341
610-524-2100 ext. 126
Robert F. Horn is a Partner and chair of the Subrogation Practice Group. Bob has 20 years of experience litigating in the fields of workers’ compensation subrogation, property subrogation, and general liability matters with more than 28 years of experience handling insurance claims. Bob has represented a variety of major insurance carriers and individuals to secure recoveries in complex cases involving product liability, negligence, construction accidents, and premises liability theories of recovery. He has recovered millions of dollars for clients in various state and Federal jurisdictions. He is also highly sought by carriers to defend its insured in property cases.
In addition to recovering liens in workers’ compensation subrogation cases, Bob often negotiates the closure of the future workers’ compensation benefits in global settlements. Bob is admitted to the Bars of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and several Federal Courts. He handles cases throughout the United States by admission pro hac vice.
Since 2013, Bob has been selected to the list of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers. Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from various practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process is multi-phased and includes peer nominations, peer evaluations, and independent research. Only five percent of lawyers in Pennsylvania were selected. Bob was also selected by his peers to the “218 Top Lawyers” by Main Line Today Magazine. He has top rating of “Superb” with Avvo.
Bob was recruited by Matthew Bender and Co., Inc. to author chapter 165 of its New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition entitled, “Workers’ Compensation Insurance Subrogation.” Bob recently completed his research and writing, and his work is on sale through Lexis Nexis. He has published several articles on subrogation in the Subrogator Magazine.
Bob is also a strong advocate at the appellate level. Last year, he won a unanimous decision by the Superior Court En Banc (9 Justices) in the Malanchuk case, and he argued an important workers’ compensation subrogation case before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in the Domtar case, and the follow-up case of Hvostal v Yokom.
Bob began his claim career at Allstate Insurance Company as a property and casualty adjuster where he was responsible for injury evaluation, property adjustments, and settlements including working on the CAT teams following Hurricanes Hugo and Andrew. After attending law school, he advanced to the legal department at Allstate as a senior trial attorney responsible for the defense of Allstate insureds in litigation arising from auto and premises negligence claims. Prior to joining ConnorsO’Dell, Bob was the founding attorney of the Workers’ Compensation Subrogation Practice Group at a large regional defense firm.
Bob, a graduate of Widener University School of Law, received the American Jurisprudence Award for Insurance Law. He has a Diploma from the National Institute of Trial Advocacy. Bob earned his undergraduate degree from West Chester University, and he also attended the University of Oregon in the National Student Exchange Program.
Bob frequently presents seminars on subrogation issues and property defense in national and local forums. He lectured at the Annual Conventions of the National Association Subrogation Professionals on multiple years. When not subrogating, he enjoys hiking Horseshoe trail and sports with his family.
- Widener University School of Law, Wilmington, Delaware (J.D. Awarded 1996)
- West Chester University, West Chester, Pennsylvania (B.S. Awarded 1982)
- National Student Exchange Program to University of Oregon (1979-1981)
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania 1996
- Supreme Court of New Jersey 1998
- Supreme Court of New York 2004
- US District Court of Eastern District of Pennsylvania 1999
- US District Court of Middle District of Pennsylvania 2010
- US District Court of New Jersey 2004
- US District Court of Southern District of New York 2006
- US Supreme Court 2003
Associations & Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals
- Bob was selected to the list of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers. Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from various practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process is multi-phased and includes peer nominations, peer evaluations, and independent research. Super Lawyers limits its selection process to include not more than five percent of the lawyers in Pennsylvania.
Bob was lead counsel in the Domtar case which he argued before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court regarding a subrogation issue that has been disputed for decades. Namely, Bob represented Liberty Mutual to protect the Workers’ Compensation carrier’s right of subrogation against negligent third parties. In a 3-2 decision, the high Court defined Workers’ Comp subrogation in line with several Superior Court decisions, but allowed subrogation actions to go forward in the form of “use plaintiff.”
Bob successfully argued the use plaintiff action in the follow up case of Hvostal v. Yokom.
Bob was lead counsel in the Malanchuk case which he argued before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. Malanchuk defined civil procedures on the issue of when a consolidated case with a single plaintiff can be appealed.
Bob was selected by his peers to the ‘218 Top Lawyers’ list published by Main Line Today.
- New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition, Matthew Bender and Company Inc., December 2015
- Consolidation Does Not Bring Additional Appeal Opportunities for Plaintiff, ConnorsO’Dell LLP, December 2014
- Domtar Update: Will the PA Supreme Court Allow a Direct Action for Workers’ Comp Subrogation, ConnorsO’Dell LLP, November 2014
- Domtar Update: PA Supreme Court Announce Oral Argument to Decide Direct Right of WC Subrogation, ConnorsO’Dell LLP, September 2014
- PA Supreme Court Granted My Petition for Allowance of an Appeal Regarding WC Subrogation, ConnorsO’Dell LLP, May 2014
- Fireman’s Rule in a Construction Case, Subrogator Magazine, June 2013
- Subrogation the Slip and Fall Claim, NASP National Convention, November 2012
- Protecting the Attorney-Client Privilege in a Subrogation Case, NASP National Convention, November 2011